Saturday, September 21, 2013

Writing in the Crosshairs blogs about Discouragement



It was a discouraging day for me, what with discovering that my eating money for the month has been reduced by more than 1/2, and that the food bank I'd been urged to go to turned out to be too challenging and uncaring for an autistic bum like me to navigate.  And then I got home to check on my blog and saw this in the blogroll:

Writing In The Crosshairs: ARE YOU DISCOURAGED?

Yes, Writing in the Crosshairs, I am discouraged. There's this nasty voice in my head that keeps telling me if I can't even handle the little things in life that even people with Down Syndrome or schizophrenia seem to manage,  how can I possibly manage finishing a novel (or novella) and self-publishing it?

But the article on Writing in the Crosshairs was very encouraging to me. Particularly the references to Lord of the Rings and Vincent van Gogh. (I really like Vincent van Gogh since he may have had an autism spectrum disorder, and, according to Doctor Who, he's a friend of the Doctor.)

One of the best things in the blog post was the advice not to compare yourself to others. I guess that's good, to compare myself not to famous writers like Orson Scott Card or Karina Fabian but to last-week-me and last-year-me. (I don't want to think about two-decades-ago me who was younger, prettier, and could write without all the conflict, indecision and angst that I currently bring to the task.)

Anyway, I'd like to know, are you discouraged? Have you found good ways to cope with it? Do you think the Writing in the Crosshairs blog post is a help to discouraged writers and bloggers?

The kitty in the picture above is kitten Therese my dwarf kitten. I posted it here to remind me to wash the cat.

Please consider 'liking' us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/NissaAnnakindt

5 comments:

  1. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your quite flattering mentioning of my post. I did rare blood runs all day and evening. Whew!

    I hope my post helped in some small way. My co-worker has Asperger's, and he is an inspiration to me as he prevails in the job and in a life where so many misunderstand him.

    You made my evening by letting me feel as if my post was appreciated! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nissa, I found you on Writing In The Crosshairs. I hope you are doing better. My 11 year old son has Autism, so I can understand how hard this world might be sometimes. I love Doctor Who, and that is one of my favorite episodes. My son likes art he says it is because he can be creative, and express himself. If writing is that for you I hope you continue to follow your dreams, and expressing all that you have inside.
    Best wishes,
    David Walston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ronald, thanks for visiting my blog!
    David, thanks for the kind wishes, and it's always good to 'meet' a fellow Whovian. I hope your son persists in being creative and expressing himself in spite of any discouragement he might encounter. (I had an 'expert' testify that I couldn't have an autism spectrum disorder because I'm creative. Which is funny because all my autism spectrum friends either write or do something else creative.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get discouraged at the chronic illness one of my daughters has (CVS - I wrote about it on my blog), and it gets both of us down at times. She recently was able to get into Pain Management classes for her illness. We've been on a waiting list for months.

    Look around to find help if you can (we have to dig to find this help and ask our family doctor). Never give up, that's my motto.

    I wish you good luck and perseverance! I came over at Roland's suggestion. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nissa, my heart goes out to you. I know how difficult it is to be without sufficient funds, and to have various challenges in one's life. I really related to your post. As for writing, only you can write with your unique voice, and your voice is authentic and has something only you can offer the world. Just write from that courageous heart of yours, and your book will be great!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.