Monday, September 30, 2013

October Writing Goals: Poems, Yes, Word Counts, No

October Worksheet

It's October, and that means it's time to think about writing goals for the month. What do you hope to accomplish this month?

What did you accomplish last month? For me, I had set the goal to work on writing the outline and scenes for a somewhat complicated writing project, Starship Destine. I had 5704 words already written on this, and I planned to write 500 words a day, 6 days a week, for a total word count of 18205 by the end of the month. I only managed 15491 words.

This month I decided, for this month, to ditch the fixed word counts. And the writing projects for the month will for the first time include poetry, which I've always treated as a poor step-sister of prose before now.

My goal is to write at least 31 poems in the month. I also work on a series of poems I started called Sons of Jacob. And I want to write more sijo (Korean poetic form).

My writing project from September has been hairy since it involves some characters I've had in my head since childhood, and there are loads of stray story bits that don't seem to be easy to fit together into a single short novel. I divided the boatload of plot ideas into 3 novels. The name for the series, Starship Destine, doesn't fit this first story very well since the starship doesn't come in until near the end. So its current title is Tiberius Base and it will tell the tale of the disintegration of the Terran Confederacy's General Assembly and how the Fleet became an independent entity among the deeply  divided Terran worlds. (Watching the politics shows will be great inspiration for this.) The story will be told almost entirely from the viewpoint of a very young Fleet cadet who is a psion--- the first to ever be allowed in the Fleet.

I'm going to be doing both outlining (Snowflake Method) and writing scenes for Tiberius Base, and possibly writing a few short poems to serve as chapter headings for it.

So, now it's up to you to make your own plans, and then to carry them out. Or find some other writerly thing to do instead.


Please consider 'liking' us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/NissaAnnakindt

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You're ambitious. Series and poems. Two things I have never tackled. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire anyway capable of writing poetry. I can never do it--at least not freely. I over think a lot of what I write, when I write. I would love to challenge myself to branch out and seize other forms of writing (i.e. drama, poetry, nonfiction).

    Great October goals! Looking forward to the tally of the total progress come All Soul's Day!

    -Hana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hana, this is how I learned poetry--- I never officially learned how, I just threw words at the paper. Strong words, for the most part. I submitted some poems to publishers. Now, many years after, I am starting to study poetry more seriously. But I'm glad I didn't do that earlier because I would have been too bland and conformist if I had submitted myself to teachers and official rules from the start.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.