Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Will Blogging be Replaced by Facebook and Twitter?


Used to be when I posted stuff on my blog, things got pretty lively around here. Sometimes too lively as when a former blog follower got very angry because I, a gay woman, gave my opinion on gay 'marriage' and it didn't coincide with hers.

But as Facebook and Twitter have grown, the blog world, at least around here, has shrunk. I don't know, of course, if that is true for all bloggers, and I suspect the big blogs are doing better than ever.

I have given some thought myself to replacing my blog efforts with work on my Facebook author page (link below). It's a bit livelier even though my follower base is still small. But I think it would be sad if thoughtful blog posts get entirely replaced by tweets and Facebook status updates. It makes for a world that is ever more  trivial and ignorant.

Also, the world of Facebook is dominated by some pretty vicious trolls. When I got opposition here on my blog, I was simply informed that I could not express that opinion since it offended the person complaining. When someone disagreed with essentially the same opinion expressed on Facebook, I was told I was a liar, a fraud, a hater, a moron, retarded and crazy--- pretty much in one sentence.

I am very inactive on Twitter though I have an account, but I got a taste of that kind of opposition there as well.

The blog world seems to me to have the potential of being more thoughtful and more kind than Facebook or Twitter. As a result I think I must spend more time on this blog and on visiting the blogs of others.

What do you think? How does the blog world compare with social media?


Continue the conversation on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/NissaAnnakindt

4 comments:

  1. Not replacing blogging for me - this is still my favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think social media is a great place to reach a lot of people, share pictures, and short descriptions of what you are doing, but blogging is prefect to share writing (stories, poems), to learn and teach, and meet people interested in the same things. So I think blogging and social media will both live on separately and happily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got bored of both Facebook and Twitter. There is a limit to what you can do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Facebook because my family, including 2 of my cousins from Germany, are on it, but it can take up a lot of my time, and I have to work on controlling that.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.