Thursday, September 19, 2013

Writing and the Mindfulness Fad

Recently my shrink suggested that I google 'mindfulness' and begin mindful meditation to deal with some of my issues. Before this I had been unaware of the mindfulness fad. But my shrink said that there had been scientific studies done on mindfulness meditation techniques which showed they were objectively helpful.

In looking at the mindfulness resources online--- as well as mindfulness books I shall never be able to afford--- there seems to be a wide variety of material. Some of it is practical stuff that could help anybody no matter how they feel about the mindfulness thing.

Others, however, use 'mindfulness' as a way to push the superiority of their Buddhist/'Zen' faith on others, while still being able to look down their nose at Christians who evangelize. The problem with that is that Buddhism isn't true. (You may now freak out, screaming 'you are not allowed to say that!' even if you would have just smiled and nodded if someone had said Christianity wasn't true.)

I refuse to give up the truth for something less-true just in order to improve my moods, cope with my Asperger Syndrome, and/or improve my writing. If I believed that mindfulness=Buddhism I wouldn't touch it. But the shrink who recommended mindfulness to me is not only a Christian, he's a Christian pastor. So he's not out to make me into a Buddhist.

I found an article on Mindfulness tips for writers over at Write to Done blog: 7 Mindfulness Tips to Energize Your Writing | Write to Done   I've read it over and thought that the tips were pretty useful for writers generally. Though 'Zen' was mentioned, I think the tips can be used by writers of other faiths or no faith without compromising their religion. But I'd like to hear the opinion of my blog readers on this. Do you think 'mindfulness' techniques can be of use to the non-Buddhist writer?

And now, I'm off to do my morning mindfulness meditation.....

Please visit my Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/NissaAnnakindt

2 comments:

  1. "Zen" is a politically loaded phrase that is often used to make a person look smart and politically correct rather than through any understanding of what the word actually means. Christians would refer to this as "meditation." The principles (clearing the mind, listening, etc) are the same.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, Lauren. Most people who are keen on 'Zen' would not be happy going to a Buddhist part of the world and doing 'Zen' the way the natives do.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.