Monday, October 21, 2013

NaNoWriMo: Challenge Accepted!



Peggy Eddleman: Will Write For Cookies: This NaNoNewb wants to know: Are you in?
I came across the link above while scanning through the blogs I follow. (Please click on the post and read the link.) I myself am not a newb to Nano, but I had already decided I wasn't going to participate this November.

But in the past couple of days I've had the idea of doing a major change-of-pace project to outwit my chronic writers-block problem. I've had the idea of writing a gothic romance novel.

I know. EW, ICK, romance! It could lead to KISSING! But as a kid I read Jane Eyre, sort of the forerunner of the modern gothic romance. And I read Victoria Holt's Mistress of Mellyn when I was a teenager or thereabouts. (Victoria Holt also wrote under the name Jean Plaidy, writing historical novels about British queens under that name, and I loved Jean Plaidy books when I was young.)

My idea, which is more as a treatment/cure for my chronic writers-block than anything, is to outline Jane Eyre and Mistress of Mellyn, and from that create my own 'typical-gothic' outline complete with an orphaned-and-threatened heroine and a brooding, secretive man as love interest.

And then, I'm going to put the story in outer space. Specifically, in the Terran-empire-type setting I've been creating for my Starship Destine project, on a planet bought and settled a few generations back by an eccentric family, whose descendants now are that world's aristocratic caste.

My strategy will be to NOT reveal any details of the work save the brief outline I've already put up on the Nano web site (my profile at Nano), and some character names when I've devised them. I will be interacting on the NaNo forums on a daily basis as well as posting updates on this blog or on my Facebook page. My nickname at Nano is Ilsabein, which seemed like a good idea nearly eight years ago when I first joined that site.

Are you participating in Nano this year? Why or why not? If so, what is your project this year. More importantly, do you have a strategy to get the most out of your participation this year? And what is your goal for this year's Nano?



Please consider 'liking' us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/NissaAnnakindt

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Nissa! And remember do not get discouraged you are on the brink of flourishing!

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.