Friday, October 4, 2013

Insecure Writer’s Support Group Blog Hop | Renee DeAngelo

Insecure Writer’s Support Group Blog Hop | Renee DeAngelo

Please click on and visit the link above, a new participant in the Insecure Writer's Support Group.
 
One thing that makes me better at being an insecure writer is that should I ever come to realize that I am good at doing a certain thing, that thing becomes trivial and not worth doing.

Take my poetry. I started seriously writing poetry in 1988, and began submitting to poetry zines. In 1989 I was first published. I accumulated quite a volume of poetry written in those first 3 years. But once I realized I was good at it, I decided poetry wasn't what 'real' writers did, and so for the next few years wrote the opening chapters of about two dozen novels instead of poetry.

The advantage of writing  novel beginnings destined never to have endings is that no one can read them and judge them harshly. And I don't like being judged harshly. Somehow I was able to overcome that fear and submit to poetry zines for a while. And I blog poems and self-published a book (which is currently being revised and expanded). I suppose it is 'safe' for me to do that with poems because Poetry Doesn't Count, No One's Buying Poetry.

So I am a poet now. But then there's this.

I have been reading about a kind of Japanese poem called a haibun. The haibun is a haiku combined with a section of prose. The two, poetry and prose, compliment one another and are a unified work. I have just written my first haibun recently.

And in the novel I'm currently just beginning, I started things off with a haiku. And then the chapter continues in prose. Which will make the whole novel, in my mind at least, a haibun. A poem. And poems are something it's safe for me to write, finish and share with others.

Pretty sneaky, huh?



Please consider 'liking' us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/NissaAnnakindt

2 comments:

  1. I think there must be something in the autistic brain that makes us completely determined that nothing we do is right. If we do it well, it's obviously not a good thing to do. I always thought that was just me.

    It's interesting to read your posts, because so often they reflect what I have experienced as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are comfortable writing it, then go for it! And yes, sneaky, but whatever works.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.