Sunday, June 22, 2008

Watch the Skies for Free Ebooks from Tor

I (heart) ebooks!

I first found out about ebooks when I bought a Palm Zire 72 PDA. I hadn't intended to use it for reading books, instead I wanted it because I would be able to work on writing in places other than my living room. But I found there were lots of free ebooks available--- many even worth the price.

I just found out that Tor books is having a free ebook promotion at their web site, under the title of 'Watch the Skies'. They want you to sign up, giving your name, email address, and zip code, and they will send you a link to a free ebook. Each week they will send you another free ebook link. I don't yet know what format the ebook is in; when I find out I will update this post.

Update: On TeleRead there is a post mentioning the Tor free ebooks, which says that the Mobipocket format is one of those available. (The Mobipocket format can be read on Palm devices, and also can be read on your PC.)

There are a number of reasons that I like ebooks. One is, I like gadgets, especially ones that remind me of the ones on Star Trek. Another is that I like the experience of reading a book on my Zire 72. It's as comfortable as reading a real book--- and when reading an ebook I'm less likely to skim-read past important details of the story. And perhaps the most important thing is that there are a number of worthwhile and/or interesting ebooks out there for free. As a person of low income, I like to be able to get a new book even in months when I can just barely pay the bills, and can't even leave the house much due to gasoline prices.

I will (probably) be writing a lot more about ebooks on this blog, telling about some of my favorite sites for ebooks and such, perhaps reviewing some of the free ebooks available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.