Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Playing around with an old NaNo novel....

About two years ago I participated in NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month) and I came closer than I ever have to finishing a novel. It gave me hope.

Recently I've decided to try to finish this novel as the central idea is one I like. The original version I kind of wrote myself into a corner; and after leaving it for a time I wanted to change a lot about it.

So this year for JanNo I started writing the story again. I haven't looked at the old manuscript, just started writing a new version.

It's been going slow..... And yesterday I kind of realized that everything I have written so far on it will be thrown out. I'm just not throwing it out yet because it will lower the word count.

But I do have some ideas: I'm going to center it more about the main character, Makie Hanuman. I've decided to make her younger--- in previous incarnations she was older and had a husband or lesbian lover (depending on which version). Now I think she is going to be college-age and suicidal. Her suicide attempt is interrupted by events in the story.

To make the story more writable, the other important characters are all going to be linked to Makie. This actually started in the first version in which the main villain is Alan Hanuman, Makie's uncle. Now I've decided that all the other characters will somehow be linked to Makie in some way.

I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do, but the next scene I write will have Makie walking over a bridge, planning on jumping, and seeing strange lights in the sky which turn out to presage an alien invasion.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.