Friday, December 23, 2011

Recipe: My Mom's Christmas Cookies

3 3/4 cups sifted flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar (sifted and packed)
1 egg

Mix and sift flour (does anyone still sift flour?) baking powder, & spices. Cream butter, add sugar gradually & cream until fluffy, add egg and mix. Add sifted dry ingredients gradually and mix. Chill in refrigerator.

Roll out about 1/8 inch thick and cut with assorted cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased baking sheets in preheated 350 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for about 12 minutes. Store in covered container.

Next, make the frosting:
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
1 pkg. powdered sugar (2 or 3 cups)
1 tsp vanilla
milk to mix to right consistency
food coloring if desired

Frost the cooled cookies with the frosting and decorate with sprinkles of various kinds. Get the family together to help with the cookie decorating, and the person who does the best Star Trek uniform for the gingerbread man wins a prize.

These cookies are a family tradition in my family--- perhaps because they taste like traditional German Spekulatius cookies. But the recipe comes from the Milwaukee Gas Light Co. cookbook of 1958. (My mom's baking some right now--- so must end this post and snag a freshly baked cookie....)

3 comments:

  1. Does one use salted or unsalted butter? Can I just assume it is salted since it doesn't say?

    And, yes, I still sift flour, though I think I may be an over-the-top traditionalist but when it comes to food. Other things... not so much.

    Blessed, grace-filled Christmas Season to you, your family, and your critters, Nissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Cookies!

    I hardly ever sift flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always buy salted butter so that's what we use in this and other recipes. Don't know if that's what the original recipe used since it didn't say.

    The only flour I ever sifted was whole wheat flour I ground myself, and that was to get out the too-big bits.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.