Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Holignes! I lost my notebook of cool word verification words!



When I am writing and a new character, place, or alien species pops up, I often take out a small notebook of word verification words I've encountered, and pick one more-or-less at random.

It's better for my writing than stopping the writing process to search for the perfect name for an hour and a half. And some of those word verification words are worth keeping in the final draft.

But today, alas, in between trading kittens around to different cat mommies and feeding a newborn kit milk with a spoon (she won't take a bottle), I discovered that my little word verification notebook is missing in action.

This is doubly tragic as I have started work on a writers' naming book. It will have a section on German names, one on Korean names, one on Welsh names, one on Esperanto names, and a list of word verification words as a source for alien and other odd names and words.

So--- I've had to start a new notebook. Luckily I have a spare one that's the same as the one I use for Korean names. I'm also going to start files on my computer and enter the WV words into that whenever I have a page or so. I already have similar files for Korean names.

But it's an ednesh lot of work, so if you have a cool WV word to share, mention it in your comment and it will be added to the list.

3 comments:

  1. That stinks. Glad to hear about the other notebooks being safe, though.

    VW here= loquises (Must be related to that "Locutus of Borg" person... or something...?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, a loquis is a nobleman that's one step lower than a marquis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! :) I sooo need to learn more French. Interestingly, Google translate says the word loquis means "tatters" in French. I wonder if it would be pronounced so as to have a similarity to the sound of the mythical "Loki" ... which might explain the "tatters" thing... or not. Not that I always believe GT: its (in)ability to translate Spanish leaves me in stitches at times.

    In any case, I do like what you do with words! (Sorry for my rambling if it doesn't make sense.)

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my other blog at http://myantimatterlife.com for my most current content. This blog is mostly an archive--- though visitors are welcome.

May the Lord bless and keep all the folks who stop by this blog.